Audit Your Online Presence

How large an online footprint do you have? Do you have a personal website?


I feel that overall I have a very large footprint. I have googled how to find and track down your online footprint. This website said to google your name is equation marks and see what pops up if nothing comes up to take it a step further and put your town and state besides your name. When I googled "Alyssa Hefner" the very first image was of me as well as links to my Facebook, Linkedin, and Instagram, even one of my old ones. When I clicked on images solely I saw over 15 plus images of me as well as tons of people I know or events I have attended. When I went the further step and added my town even more images of me came up from three to four years ago that was not there when I had just googled my name. Even under the related searches my hobbies and relatives were listed. 


Which social media sites do you use? What have you put on them? What have you linked to? 

I use social media such as Facebook, Snapchat, and Instagram. I do use Blogger, Wix Websites, and Linkedin for school and professional related reasons. As for my personal social media, I mainly try to use them to build a good image of me being a typical teenager, such as going to the beach with my friends or trying to brand myself for my modeling or pageant career. When it comes to my professional social media I still give a short bio about me but it also has my resume and thinks that are school-related such as videos or work I have done attached to them. I rarely link social media to one another and if I do it is mainly to my google account so I can log in to certain things faster. 


What information about you could a visitor glean about you, even indirectly, by visiting your pages on social media? 


I think any person visiting my social media, however, most of my accounts are on private could tell where I go to college, who my closest friends are, some of the clubs I am involved in at my school, where I have worked and what some of my hobbies are. 

What private information have you voluntarily given out, such as your phone number and e-mail address? To what sites and why? 

I have voluntarily given out both my school and personal email as well as my phone number to one or two sites, I did this as a way to sign up for the site, which is supposed to add for extra security so no one can hack into your account. 

Consider the sorts of questions posed by The Atlantic article: Does social media make people lonely? Depressed? Isolated?


I feel that social media can make people lonely, depressed, and isolated. I do not feel that social media is the cause of Yvette Vickers death, however, it may have played a role in it. I think if you spend to much time on social media then you may feel isolated and depressed in some way because social media is not really reality. So social media is okay to have for connection with friends and family as long it doesn't consume you.

Source: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2012/05/is-facebook-making-us-lonely/308930/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Post

Technology  T he relationship I have with technology is one of the most challenging questions I've had to answer since I use it eve...